When you initiate a Botetourt County warrant search, you will be able to find arrest records and information on active warrants that were released in cases that were felonies and matters that could be categorized as misdemeanors. Because of this, a faulty assumption prevails that outstanding warrants have to exist for the police to effect an arrest.
While this is true in the case of misdemeanors, given the heinous nature of felonies, the police do not have to wait for the release of arrest warrants when detaining a person who has been accused of this crime class. Yet, the law lays down specific rules to protect innocent citizens from being taken into custody.
Pursuant to the criminal code followed when issuing active warrants in Botetourt County as well as when apprehending an accused, legal detention is only possible when a judicial officer or an agent of a law enforcement agency has enough proof for any person of reasonable mind to believe that the crime was committed by the accused.
Hence, if your inquiry reveals that there is indeed an active warrant in the name of your subject or that he has been apprehended in connection with a felonious crime, it simply means that the investigating agency has ample proof against this individual in their hand. To get in touch with a state agency for a background search, you can connect with:
- The Police: 5 West Main St, PO Box 18, Fincastle, Virginia 24090
- The court: 1 W Main St, Fincastle, VA 24090
- The clerk of court: Roanoke and Main Streets, Fincastle, Virginia 24090
How do you get information on Botetourt County warrants and arrest records over the phone? (2021-specific)
- Outstanding warrants-related information from the police- For this and to understand the process for requesting an arrest report or an incident report, call on 540-928-2200.
- Crime reporting: To give a tip about a most wanted suspect, call on 540-473-8631.
- Recent arrests and information about inmates currently held at the Botetourt County Jail – For this and information pertaining to a bail bond, call on 540-473-8230.
- Judicial records pertaining to misdemeanor and traffic offenses: – For this and to find out about court dates, call the Clerk of the District Court on 540-928-2280.
- Case records pertaining to felony crimes: For this, call the Clerk of the Circuit Court on 540-473-8274.
Crime statistics for Botetourt County, Virginia
In 2019, the crime rates of Botetourt County, VA saw a reduction of nearly 10% over the figures of previous years. As compared to 2018, in which property crimes clocked in nearly 250 complaints, 2019 saw the property crime rate dip to around 230 incidents. Violent crimes, too, went down from about 30 incidents (2018) to 20 complaints in 2019.
Over the five years that started in 2004 and ended in 2008, nearly 2000 criminal complaints were filed in Botetourt County, VA. Of these incidents, only about 4% of the acts were of a violent nature. Overall the crime scene was dominated by instances of theft and property crimes. There was a drop of over 50% in the violent crime rate through the interval mentioned above.