In the case of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, outstanding warrants, information about these orders is held by multiple agencies since almost every law enforcement department is expected to serve this directive as soon as the alleged offender is spotted. However, it would be a grave folly to assume that an arrest warrant is always needed when an accused has to be detained.
Particularly, in felonious crimes, the offender can be picked up from the scene of the incident, while fleeing from it or while he is in the act or right after without using an active warrant from Isle of Wight County. However, when an offense qualifies as a misdemeanor, the police have to wait for the court to grant them an official judicial order for arrest.
Also, arrest warrants have to be based on the establishment of probable cause. Even when an arrest has to be made in a felony, the police need to have ample reason to link the person to be arrested with the criminal occurrence before he is taken into custody. Through the course of the trial, if it is found that law enforcement agents did not have probable cause when arresting the said individual, the case may very well be thrown out.
However, once an outstanding warrant is available against a person, whether he is being accused of a felony or a misdemeanor, police have every right to use any means required to bring this individual in. If you are looking for a warrant search in the Isle of Wight, it would be best to contact the agencies given below.
- Law enforcement: 17110 Monument Circle, Isle of Wight, Virginia 23397
- Judiciary: Given above
- County clerk: 17122 Monument Circle, Isle Of Wight, Virginia 23397
Can I get a criminal history report from Isle of Wight County over the phone? (2021-specific details)
- You can call the Records Unit of the Sheriff’s Office at 757-357-9144 for police (accident and incident) reports.
- You can call the Sheriff’s Office non-emergency dispatch phone number 757-357-2151 to file a complaint/report.
- You can connect with the Western Tidewater Regional Jail at 757-539-3119 for details on recent arrests.
- You can access arrest records and file a request for a warrant search by connecting with the Administrative Deputy at 757-357-9144
- You can connect with the District Clerk’s Office at 757-365-6244 for court dockets concerning misdemeanor and traffic cases.
- You can get information on felony court records by contacting the Clerk of Court for the Fifth Judicial Circuit at 757-365-6233.
Crime statistics for Isle of Wight County, Virginia
From 2018 to 2019, the Isle of Wight County Police managed to bring down the crime levels in the area by nearly 10%. In 2018, approximately 240 criminal complaints were filed in the area, including over 200 property crimes and over 30 violent crimes. By 2019, this figure had dipped to 220 incidents, which included 200 property crimes and a few over 20 violent crimes.
In Isle of Wight County, VA, almost 600 crimes occur on an annual basis. Of these, less than 6% are violent, while the remainder of the incidents are property crimes. Through the decade that started in 1999, there was a growth of nearly 60% in violent and overall crime rates.