If cop dramas and crime shows have convinced you that a warrant is a must when it comes to taking a person into custody, think again! An active warrant from Mecklenburg County, Virginia, will only be sought in cases that are deemed as misdemeanors. When it concerns felonies, the police can arrest a person without the need for any undue formalities.
Does this mean that just about any person can be apprehended under the suspicion of having committed a criminal act? No, the law will not allow even the powers of the sheriff’s deputies and justice agencies to supersede the Fourth Amendment. This means that an individual cannot be arrested unless there is significant evidence and even witness testimony pinning the crime on him.
In case of arrest warrants, it is left at the judiciary’s discretion to decide if there is enough proof to accuse the person in question. However, because the issue of an active warrant in Mecklenburg County means that the police case has the judiciary’s seal of approval, an arrest is imminent when such an order is released.
So, if you want to positively determine if a person has a criminal background, a simple warrant search will give you all the information you need. In fact, the results of such an inquiry will include details on Mecklenburg County arrest records, outstanding warrants, charges filed against the subject, verdict, and more. For your search, you can go to:
- Law enforcement: 251 Monroe St, Boydton, Virginia 23917
- Judiciary: 1294 Jefferson St, Boydton, VA 23917
- County clerk: Washington St, Boydton, Virginia 23917
So, is there no information about warrants or arrests that I can get over the phone? (2021-data)
- To find out about recent arrests call the Meherrin River Regional Jail on 434-949-6700.
- To request an arrest report, incident report, and information on warrants, call the Administration Staff of the Sheriff’s Office at 434-738-6171.
- To provide an anonymous crime tip, use the toll-free phone number of the Mecklenburg County Crime Solvers- 1-877-676-8477
- For filing a police report against gang and drug-related activities, call 434-738-9742.
- To access information on the felony cases handled by Circuit Court, call 434/738-6191 Ext. 4214.
- To get court records from the General District Court, call at 434/738-6260 (Criminal and Traffic Division) and at 434/738-6191 ext. 4325 (JDR Division).
Crime statistics for Mecklenburg County, Virginia
From an annual incident figure of over 260 in 2018 to a yearly average of 230 in 2019, the crime rates of Mecklenburg county plunged by almost 15% over the two-year period. The drop affected the rates of both violent and property crimes. The latter plunged from a high of 200 plus incidents to just about 180 incidents, while violent crimes registered a decrease of almost 10%.
Of the estimated 600 crimes in Mecklenburg County, VA, only about 50 are violent each year. The majority of the annual crime average can be attributed to acts of property crime. From 2001 onwards, there has been a rise of almost 80% in violent and overall crime rates.